Online and Apps
We first mapped gay apps in 2015 but, since then, the market has become less crowded with apps like Grindr, Scruff and Hornet rising to the top while others have fallen by the wayside, including Chappy which closed in early 2020.
We have divided the apps into a main group and other apps we have stumbled across in our travels. Researching this stuff is a bit like going down a rabbit hole, never knowing where you're going to end up. As of September 2020, this is our best shot at mapping apps, but we need a lie-down!*
- Most apps have free and premium/ paid features and are available from the Google Play and Apple app stores.
- Take some time to read the reviews remembering the (star) ratings are geared towards technical competence.
- It's a very rough guide to 'popularity' but bracketed figures next to the app names listed below are download numbers (according to the Google Play Store; 1/9/2020).
- Bigger does not necessarily mean better. Some guys like a sex frenzy while others prefer a niche app.
Only you can decide which one is best for you, and some trial and error is likely needed. However, if you're looking for older men and bears check out Daddy Hunt and GROWLr. If you're after something rougher, raunchier, and/ or fetish orientated then check out BBRT, Recon and Nasty Kink Pigs.
- Adam4adam (1,000,000+)
- Bare Back Real Time (BBRT)
- BoyAhoy (1,000,000+)
- Qutie (50,000+)
- Daddy Hunt (1,000,000+)
- Gaydar (1,000,000+)
- Grindr (10,000,000+)
- Growlr (1,000,000+)
- Guy Spy (1,000,000+)
- Hornet (10,000,000+)
- Jack’d (5,000,000+)
- Manhunt (100,000+)
- Mr X (100,000+)
- Nasty Kink Pigs
- Romeo (5,000,000+)
- Recon (50,000+)
- Scruff (10,000,000+)
- Surge (1,000,000+)
1 Japan with an Asia-Pacific central focus
2 Israeli LGBT community
3 Threesome dating app for couples and singles
4 No website
5 Activities on hold (30/04/20)
Positive Plus One
Positive Plus One is a free app for the HIV community. It connects members locally and globally, providing a safe and secure environment for support, friendship and connection.
Positive Plus One
The road to a good hook-up, shag, or a relationship can be rocky. We mention this because you will likely to come across 'types' of men who:
- Just chat, chat, chat ... and only chat.
- Will put you in your place if they think you're out of their league.
- Will say "hey" or "hi" then disappear forever.
- Can't stop messaging, and messaging, and messaging.
- Cancel at the last moment. We always suggest you update travel plans with something like "ETA". If there's no reply: you know where you stand.
- Only fuck without condoms though the advent of PrEP and U=U have been game-changers for HIV transmission.
- Only have sex on drugs which can both be exciting and liberating but also problematic.
- Are racist, some blatantly so, though many apps seem to have a mechanism to report this relatively swiftly.
- Want "real" "straight-acting" men only, that's rough, tough and masculine, apparently.
- Are only looking for a relationship, not sex. Go figure.
You're Gay, Now What
This promo short from Moovz caught our eye, both intelligent and funny as far as web apps ads go. And before anyone asks, MEN R US doesn't know them, nor do we have shares!
You're Gay, Now What?! | Moovz | 15 Jul 2015 2m 49s
The best apps for gay dating, gay sex and gay romance | GQ | 22 Aug 2020
How technology has changed the LGBT+ experience | Tech Nation | 25 Jun 2019
Gay dating app calls it quits | Queerty | 18 Feb 2020
Best Gay Dating Apps of 2020 | Dating News | 4 Feb 2020
Jack'd gay dating app exposes millions of private photos | BBC News | 7 Feb 2019
Scruff gay dating app bans underwear photos | BBC News | 30 Jan 2019
Gay dating apps: a comprehensive guide to Jack’d, Grindr, Hornet, Scruff and the rest | Pink News | 5 Mar 2018
Is it time to get Kindr? | GMFA | FS 2018, 167
Join the new dating app... unless you’re HIV-positive | Queerty* | 25 Aug 2017
This new gay dating app bans HIV-positive men from joining | Pink News | 25 Aug 2017
Gay dating app cops backlash for banning HIV positive guys | Star Observer | 28 Aug 2017
Sugar daddy dating app proudly and sadly promotes HIV stigma | plus | 28 Aug 2017
Helpline, advice and victim support | MEN R US↑ Back to top