Sex and Covid-19
Sex, drugs and COVID-19
Originally posted Spring 2020
Physical distancing is at the heart of combating COVID-19: contain the little fucker, break onward transmission, and stop the spread. Sometimes, it's not possible to make "NO" sound nice, but the bottom line is you should not be hooking up with guys at the moment or using cruising sites.
If you've already made up your mind to ignore this advice it's unlikely you'll take notice of anything we say here, but we're going to say it anyway:
- Meeting guys can increase your risk of getting or passing on COVID-19, and you may not even know it
- You run the risk of passing COVID-19 onto family, housemates, fuck buds and/ or other partners
- The health implications can be life-threatening for those people with serious underlying health conditions
- Sexual health and health services are rammed dealing with COVID-19 (some reducing hours/ access); so, you may not get the service you expect or need
- Do you want to get stopped by the police with your go-bag of poppers, dildoes and lube? "I need a shag officer" is not going to cut it under 'urgent' or 'necessary' travel
Videoing and cam sex
- Human touch is immensely powerful but we should never underestimate the voice, pics and video.
- Be mindful if don't know the person you are camming with. You might be viewed and/ or recorded by others without your consent
- Make sure the person you’re camming/ speaking to is over the age of consent
- Consider the background of your room as you may not want guys to see stuff
- Check your mic and speakers, and lighting work to your best advantage
- You don't necessarily need to jump straight to the virtual sex part. Consider foreplay and teasing (sense of anticipation)
- Why not try role-play, outfits and fetish wear
- Phone and sex messaging can be a big turn-on.
- Though many of us use WhatsApp you may want to check your phone plan includes photo messages because they cost
- Wanking is very cool. Wanking with lube. Try wanking with your other hand. We also hear that "mindful masturbation" is a thing!*
- It may take some practice but try a dildo or finger up your arse with porn when wanking. Sensible sizes, please!
It's not real sex
There's no point getting around the fact that some guys are saying it's not "real" sex. They're wrong. It may be not what we're used to but it's the best we have at the moment. If you're one of those guys: you kind of need to get over yourselves and work with what we have rather than bitch about what we don't.
Launched in November 2020, check out our "Play Safer" safer chemsex and drug use campaign.
Play Safer | MEN R US
Sex, COVID-19 and physical distancing | HIV Scotland
Give yourself a hand: acts of self-love to keep you satisfied during lockdown | Gay Men Fighting AIDS (GMFA) | 1 Apr 2020
Don’t hook up during the COVID-19 lockdown | Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) | 25 Mar 2020
Sex and coronavirus (COVID-19) | SX Scotland
COVID-19 tips and tricks: hooking up hints | Prepster
COVID-19 tips and tricks: other ways to get off | Prepster
COVID-19 tips and tricks: info for sex workers | Prepster
COVID-19 tips and tricks: info for people in hostile or abusive households | Prepster
Drugs and chemsex
If you are using drugs and playing: be aware of risks and reduce drugs harms wherever possible. Click any of the links below or visit our DRUGS section.
Drug, alcohol and chemsex support in London and elsewhere | MEN R US
Accident and emergency hospitals in London | MEN R US
Sexual health services | MEN R US
Safer chemsex | MEN R US
Connection and consent | MEN R US
Safer G use including spiking (drinks and lubicant) and sexual assault | MEN R US
People are still meeting for chemsex under lockdown and police warn the risks are greater than ever | BuzzFeed | 4 May 2020
Lockdown ‘has broken the HIV chain’, says leading sexual health clinic | Pink News | 1 May 2020
What’s the deal with hooking up right now? | Emen8 | Australia | 31 Mar 2020
How is the coronavirus lockdown impacting gay hookup culture? | HuffPost | 27 Mar 2020
Sex in the era of COVID-19 | The Bay Area Reporter | USA | 25 Mar 2020
Can I have sex? A guide to intimacy during the coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian | 25 Mar 2020
How to have sex in the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic | US | The Cranky Queer | 11 Mar 2020
All your horny little coronavirus questions answered | Vice | US | 6 Mar 2020