Metropolitan Police Service
Contacting the police
Call 999 if:
- a serious offence is in progress or has just been committed
- someone is in immediate danger or harm
- property is in danger of being damaged
- a serious disruption to the public is likely
If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use the textphone service 18000 or text 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergency SMS service.
Call 101 for non-emergency enquiries. If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service on 18001 101
Policing in the United Kingdom
Policing is subdivided by region, and each force deals with crime and policing in its own way, subject to national requirements. There are 43 police forces in England and Wales, along with the British Transport Police and the separate police forces of Scotland and Northern Ireland.
UK Police and Crime Commissioners | POLICE.UK
The criminal justice process
- What happens after a crime is reported?
- How do the police deal with minor crimes?
- What happens when someone is charged with a crime?
- What happens in the court?
- How are offenders sentenced?
- What are the different types of court sentence?